Volunteers needed for Earth Day in Victoria!
West Coast Environmental Law is seeking outgoing and engaging volunteers in Victoria who are passionate about climate change!
Interested in joining our Street Legal Team for Earth Day in Victoria and further opportunities in the greater Victoria area?
At West Coast Environmental Law we believe in the transformative power of the law to safeguard the environment and communities. We provide legal information, guidance and support to individuals, communities and organizations seeking to protect their water, lands and air. Our climate change campaign, known as Climate Law in Our Hands, aims to hold the fossil fuel industry accountable for its fair share of climate costs in BC communities.
This is an opportunity for volunteers to join us at Creatively United for the Planet, a community and art-based Earth Day festival in Victoria on April 22nd, 2017. We’re also seeking part-time volunteers for ongoing opportunities at events in the greater Victoria area.
As a member of the Street Legal Team you will play an important role in communicating our campaign in easily understandable ways to the public and encouraging people to get involved. You have a strong personal commitment to the environment, to climate-impacted communities, and to justice. You enjoy interacting and engaging with the public, are friendly and approachable and will be able to quickly learn the key points about our campaign and organization.
As a member of the Street Legal Team, you will have the opportunity to expand your knowledge on current environmental issues and gain significant experience in public outreach – all while enjoying environmental events, festivals, farmer's markets and other exciting community events.
Earth Day event details:
- What: Creatively United for the Planet – a community festival and sustainability showcase in Victoria
- When: April 22nd, 2017, 10am - 5pm (plus an hour on each end for set-up and cleanup)
- Available shifts: 9am-1:30pm, 1:30pm-6pm
- Commitment: We are seeking volunteers for the two shifts listed above. You will be joining a staff member at the West Coast table for the duration of your shift (apart from breaks), as well as helping with set-up or cleanup. You’ll also be required to attend either an in-person or phone briefing meeting to get up to speed on the Climate Law in Our Hands campaign. In addition to this, we will provide you with advance materials to read in order to be prepared to communicate the issues to the public.
- Keen to learn about West Coast's work, specifically on climate change
- Strong verbal communicator
- Ability to take initiative and direction as required
- A friendly smile
What’s in it for you?
- Expand your knowledge on important environmental and climate change issues
- Gain experience in public outreach
- Earn volunteer hours and personalized letter of reference on request
- Spend time outdoors and experience exciting events in the greater Victoria area
Related education and previous outreach experience is a bonus, but as long as you are passionate about environmental protection and are interested in learning about current environmental issues, all are welcome!
Please email us and submit a brief paragraph outlining your related experience along with your availability to Alexis at firstname.lastname@example.org